I finally have my first finish of 2013! I signed up in December for round #13 of the Doll Quilt Swap, thinking I would have a ton of time over Christmas break (I took off 2 weeks) to crank something out. I had a plan in place by then…but no one told this naive first-time mother that her energetic little 6-month old would want to be entertained EVERY. SINGLE. MOMENT. she was awake (which is often, she doesn’t do naps well). So “vacation” wasn’t exactly restful and relaxed.
And then it was back to the grind with work, where the weekends are often spent catching up on household neglect during the week. On top of that, my grandfather had a heart attack, with his future prognosis not that great (he’s too unstable to have his pacemaker battery replaced before it gives out in a couple of months, so…). We decided we needed to make a trip to have Kit meet her great-grandfather, in case he doesn’t make til we go for a family trip in late April.
So that knocked out a weekend, and left some cut fabric sitting all by its lonesome on a table in my sewing room. And as if that weren’t enough, apparently the flu shots Kit and I received weren’t the kind that covered whatever nasty bug is swirling around Lala-land in early February, so we both got sick!
So I finally kicked myself into gear last weekend and in the evenings of this week so I could mail this lil quilt out today, right on time:
Any regular reader will know I often have a problem with people selling quilt patterns, when the basics are either easy to determine on your own…or are already available on the web via a free resource. So I rarely buy patterns now that I’m confident with my quilt math skills. But I had to make an exception for this one – the Stairway to Heaven pattern. I’ve had it for a while, and have been waiting to test it out. DQS seemed like a good opportunity. So I reduced the pattern by 50%, redrew the seam allowances, grabbed my can of spray starch and went to work.
I was pleasantly surprised by how flat the dodecagon laid after I got it sewn together – it was rather easy, only 1 partial seam to deal with. Then I miscut a lot of the gray background and ended up not quite square on a couple of the corners. I grabbed some orange scraps to help me bridge the gap there, which turned out to be an Oops with a happy ending – I think the corners add a nice bit of pop!
I’m not much of a quilter (and rather chicken to try something new, especially working on a tight deadline), so I just outline quilted in the dodecagon, and added in more parallel lines in the gray corners. Again, due to time constraints, I did a machine binding – I’m getting better at it, but still haven’t quite perfected it yet.
I’m super happy with this pattern! I was simultaneously piecing another version for myself with this one (so I didn’t have to waste thread), and am going to add one more border to make it big enough to hang on the wall above our bed.
And because I can’t resist adding in another picture of the munchkin… we did do some Valentine’s Day crafting over the weekend. She clearly wasn’t so sure about what I was doing to her.