Ok, I’m done with the discussion for now. I was quite a bit refreshed that there was actually an emotion related to a quilting/craft blog that wasn’t 100% ooey-gooey sunshiney goodness. I’m not entirely sure what everyone is afraid of, but it IS ok to have a differing opinion. For me, that’s the beauty of living in these United States. However, I guess I am thankful most people prefer to keep their negative thoughts internalized – it’s certainly more polite.
So back to the sunshine! Except not in SoCal – we are having an honest-to-goodness normal spring (by the rest of the country’s standards) – rain, cool temps, crazy pollen levels. It’s been really nice. I’m ready for the jacarandas to bloom. I’m also trying to figure out a day to go up with my photog buddy to shoot the poppies.
Cold, rainy days = much-needed sewing time. I caught up on all of my bee blocks yesterday.
First, all 6 of the 3×6 Bee blocks for this quarter. I’ve been mulling over this graphic for a while now, and decided to do something about it.
So I carved out a bit that I thought I could make into a manageable 12” block. I very nearly made the block as 4 separate 6.5” blocks, but at the last minute, figured out that I could actually cut 1 piece for the center area, rather than piecing it all together. The bonus part? I only had to sew 4 seams (rather than 7) for each block.
I did make a much larger practice block to test out my idea:
I’ve been wanting a couple of new 20” pillows on my couch. There’s a zipper on the back, so I can pull out the insert and wash the cover if I need to. One down, one more pillow to go.
Since the pillow went well, I felt pretty good with the execution of the blocks:
My favorite is the one in the bottom right – froggylegs is making a Superman themed quilt for her son. Red/yellow/blue is such a classic color combo!
I also pieced together Victoria’s block for One Block Over.
You can read more about it on the OBO blog.
All said, not too shabby for the weekend’s work!
And speaking of VQBs…make sure you go check out Jessica’s finished quilt for Pieced Together! I love how it turned out, and really think it looks nice without any sashing. The block I made for her is the one in the lower left corner.