Like all good procrastinators, I waited until the last minute (or last few days) to torture myself with hand-sewing the binding on my latest quilt.
I actually received my quilt back from Margaret a couple of weeks ago, but let other things get in the way (like watching Glee).
Here’s a detail of her quilting – I really think it looks wonderful, I just wanted a simple, swirly all-over pattern. The only problem I have with the quilt has nothing to do with the quilting…rather it’s the blue solid RK voile I used as the background fabric. I’m positive now that all voiles are not created equally, and I should have just buckled and bought the 3x more expensive, but likely 10x better quality, AMH voile solids (or maybe the dobby dots). The RK voile was just a bit too sheer, and I don’t like how the seams show underneath. Fortunately, I think the AMH Little Folks prints work quite nicely in distracting you from looking at the solid fabric too much!
Margaret said the voile quilted up beautifully w/out any tension issues – she used a light-weight thread (and an appropriately sized needle for the thread). I had sent her some Quilters Dream Select Loft cotton batting to use – I wanted something not terribly puffy & with a nice drape, and she mentioned she had a customer send that batting to use recently and thought I would like it. I quilted my MT mini with some of the leftover batting, and let me tell you, it was fantastic to work with! Definitely some fuzzies, but that’s to be expected with cotton.
Anyway, Margaret did a really nice job of quilting and didn’t really quilt outside the basting lines…and I was *thisclose* to just self binding with the backing fabric, machine stitching to the front. However, the quilt guilt factor got a hold of me, and I stitched the binding on to the front like a proper quilter, so I could hand-stitch it down to the back. I made Steve drive at least partially the past few days so I can work on it in the car…plus a marathon session on Friday night (because I’m slow as molasses when it comes to binding). I think the only way it worked so well in the car was because the voile and the batting were so EASY to sew through (no wrangling the needle through tough layers).
The quilt went to a college buddy of mine, Chad, and his new wife, Laura. I really hope they like it – I usually have a strict policy against getting someone a gift that isn’t on their registry, but I’m thinking this is the pleasant surprise off-the-list gift.
Final verdict – I really love the overall look of this quilt and it is amazing soft & drapey. I’m a huge fan of the 8-point cheater star. I kind of want to make another one of these quilts with the AMH voile for myself…but using one of her solid voiles for a background. Even if it costs an arm & a leg… 8 FQs + 1.5 yds of background + 4 yds for backing & binding = over $100 in fabric…plus batting…plus what I paid for the long-arm quilting…it adds up quick!
Handmade is better, but it’s more expensive!